BE A HERO! SAVE A LIFE!
· 85 -95% of all domestic violence victims are female
· About 1 out of 4 women will be abused by a partner in her lifetime.
· Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women between the ages of 15 and 44 in the US; more than car accidents, muggings, and rapes combined
· A woman is beaten by her husband or partner every 15 seconds in the US
· Police report that between 40% and 60% of the calls they receive are domestic violence disputes
· 50% of all homeless women and children in this country are fleeing domestic violence
· The health-related costs of rape, physical assault, stalking and homicide by intimate partners exceed $5.8 billion each year
· In the US, more than 1200 women are killed each year by their intimate partner*
· 24 people per minute are victims of rape, physical violence or stalking by an intimate partner in the U.S—over 12 million women & men during the course of a year**
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
- Ask your pastor to preach on the issue of domestic violence so if there are persons in your congregation being abused, they will know their pastor is aware of this issue.
- Publicize the domestic violence hotline in your church.
- Make sure your pastor is aware of community resources for those experiencing violence and publicize those resources in your congregation.
- Teach young people how to have healthy relationships ‐ ones that are free from violence.
Be intentional about lifting a voice of reason. And, if the occasion arises, let your voice reach across the distance and compel someone to safety. Be a hero and save a life.
**National Domestic Violence Hotline